Wednesday, May 16, 2012

THE Tick

Have you ever found yourself in a situation where normally your first instinct would be to completely freak out and not know what to do but then you realize you are a mom and that two little eyes are looking at you in fear and you have no other choice but to remain calm?

Rewind 2 hours ago and that was me.

Anna had just gone potty and she was getting out of her swimsuit (we had washed my car) and so she was naked. I hear a, "Mommy, whaaat's dis?"

I look and do a double take........ I think to myself.... NO WAY. HOLY CRAP. (eyes getting wider and wider) Is that what I think it is. Oh my gosh I see it's legs. It's legs are moving. Gross. Lyme Disease. Crap. I have to get it out of her. Like NOW. What if I break it's head off and it gets stuck in her forever? (I know freak out but the thought did cross my mind) Where is Rob? He's the nature outdoors guy. I have pulled one out of Peanut before but my daughter? Oh my gosh. REMAIN COOL. Jenny, she will freak out if you do, remain calm. CALM?

"Mommy? Whaaat's DHAT?"

"It's a tick Anna. You will be okay. Mom?!?!?!?!"

Luckily my mom was there for support and we quickly got Vaseline on the tick to try to force it out of her (it was snuggled in really good at her hip on her underwear line). We both remained cool and calm until I went to try and pull it out of her with my fingers; I got REALLY nervous and Anna picked up on my nerves immediately and started freaking out. She also was freaking out at the sight of tweasers in my mom's hands. But she was able to be calmed down pretty quickly once we got calm. Then I did a second attempt at getting the little sucker out but my fingers were too slippery. Thank God for my mom stepping in and using her fingernails to yank the sucker out. I was starting to get worked up again and knew Anna would also be in any second. Tick free, I told Anna how brave she was and how proud I was of her for being such a brave girl while we got rid of the bug.We told her the bug liked her because she was so sweet and all she could do was smile.

Yes, I know that I was over reacting at having to remove a tick, but ticks are probably my least favorite things of nature. They disgust me. They make me itch all over. Tonight they forced me to take a 10 minute shower and wash my hair twice. I even contemplating waking up Ashley to give her a tick check but we decided to wait to do that until morning. I really can't put it any clearer, I hate ticks. They freak me out.

So I hope this is the first and last time I have to ever remove them from another human being; especially from someone I love so much. But for some reason with how much these two girls love being outside, I think tick removal may be in my future (just next time with Daddy around please?)

I sure am proud of my little girl and how she held her composure throughout the entire ordeal. She really is a brave little girl who listens to and trusts her mommy and Grama.

Much Love,
Jenny


1 comment:

  1. That IS scary! I remember finding them on me after a day at Sunday School Camp. About a month ago I found 2 on Minners in just a week ... and we haven't been on the trails since then :( Our walks are VERY boring now.
    Way to go, Momma!

    ReplyDelete