Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Our "Garden"

In our new house there is a small garden plot in the backyard. My mission is to someday have a tiny green thumb. I'm not asking to become a queen gardener; I just want to be able to keep a plant alive and produce some food. In the past no matter how hard I have tried I manage to kill every plant... EVERY plant. I think with a responsible 2 1/2 year old who loves be be outside and with a 15 month old who also loves to be outside that we will be able to work together as a team and actually grow something. Anna doesn't forget a thing so I have a feeling she'll be the mastermind behind the plant growing! Plus we will have a wonderful backyard in our new house, one with a deck and swing set that I am sure will get daily use.

So we have decided to start before we move so that my mom can help us get started off right! This past weekend we planted 2 tomato plants, a cucumber and a basil. Come on, I should be able to manage this. When we move into the new house we will then transfer them to the small garden plot. And if they are still alive we just might look into planting some pretty perennial flowers to test my green thumb even more. And to add to nature, we will buy a bird feeder or two. Anna and Ashley LOVE birds and they love watching all the ones in my parents backyard (a blog post coming on that very soon!)

So the girls went to work with Daddy. Anna was very active in the planting. She helped form the hole to put the plants in and she even helped put the plants in the hole. And the watering, she was all over that.







As for Ashley, she has no interest in this step; she just wanted to eat it when it grows :) I guess Ashley did get her hands dirty and had some fun in the dirt, but mostly she could have cared less. I am sure this will change next year.





Much Love,
Jenny

1 comment:

  1. You are lucky Ashley doesn't care. Leland loves to eat dirt and woodchips. He also loves to rip up plants and crawl over seedlings or try to get into the pot with the plants. I need a baby jail for outside so I can actually get some work done out there.

    ReplyDelete