Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Articulation

Around 1 1/2 weeks ago, we went to the Blue Valley Early Childhood Education Building and had Anna tested on "typical" early childhood developmental skills (motor skills, language, articulation, physical skills, knowledge of shapes, numbers, etc). I decided to do the testing since I had some worries about Anna's current level of articulation and Ashley's Parent As Teacher led me in this direction for Anna.

When we got the test results back in the mail, she had come back age appropriate or beyond for every skill but articulation. This made me feel good that my instinct for the past year had been right concerning her articulation.  I had been having concerns for quite some time (since she started talking) about her articulation. As her parent I have always been able to understand most of what she says, but not all. As for others I would say they have always been able to understand around 50/50; if that. I had always told myself that if these issues are still around at age 3 (at this age a stranger should understand 100% of what they say) that I would seek the help of a professional since I have 0% background or exposure to speech therapy. So when we saw that the area of articulation needed further testing, I was relieved to see that I wasn't being an overachieving parent and that there really IS something to look into and that someone who knows about speech therapy is available and willing to help me through Blue Valley. I tell you what; a mother's instinct is amazing (and so is Blue Valley. Sorry had to plug my alma mater!)

I know that even if we don't forego the further testing and possible speech therapy that she will outgrow her articulation issues with time. And I know they issues really aren't that bad. But as a parent I believe it is every bit my responsibility to help my child grow into a self confident and self respecting individual. I would hate for this slight articulation issue to cause her to lose any self esteem; since I believe that there is nothing more vital to raising children then providing them every chance to increase their self confidence and esteem. I just don't want other people to ask her "huh" or "what are you saying" or "I can't understand" or "say it again Anna" much longer. If she hears this too much, she may think something is wrong with her and that would break me.

I was not the least bit surprised or upset with the test results... I was relieved. Relieved that I am realistic in and "in touch" with how I view my child's development as a 3 year old. I was also proud of myself for following my gut instinct and getting the test done. I am also proud of my ability to acknowledge the areas she excels at and also the areas she may need assistance in; and when the time comes (age 3), getting her the proper assistance.

So, needless to say I am ready to get the ball rolling on the next step. We go Monday morning to a session with the speech therapist for Blue Valley Early Childhood Education where she will determine the steps after that. She told me on the phone that after meeting with Anna for that short time a week ago that she thinks the next steps will probably be speech therapy with her once a week, for 30 minutes, with take home homework. I can not wait to start seeing results. I can't wait for my baby girl to no longer get discouraged or upset because people (sometimes even us) don't understand some of what she says. I can't wait to see her grow into a more confident little lady.

Wish us luck!

Much Love,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment