Thursday, December 15, 2011

My Guardian Angel

I believe in something much greater; much more powerful then luck. I believe in angels; my guardian angel.

Sure, some people may call me crazy and just say it's all to chance and luck but there have been too many times in my life where I truly feel like I am being looked after. Such a time came last night....

Last night we got in a accident. The whole incident was a whirlwind but during the split second it took for me to realize that we had gotten hit and that my family was okay, I was scared. Very scared. I got knocked off my rocker in a way that I had never been before.... maybe it's because I'm a mom now and it's just part of being a parent. But soon after realizing we were okay I became calm; very unlike Jenny calm. Maybe it was because Rob was with me and he was in turbo-dad mode focused ENTIRELY on making sure the girls were safe (after of course realizing I was okay) or maybe it was because I didn't care about my car. What I cared about most were perfectly safe (shaken up and scared) and with us. At that moment, I thanked God for the guardian angel protecting us; for keeping my family safe.

It could have been a lot worse, the accident. My car bumper was ripped in half and the back passenger bumper side banged up pretty bad and her car took a big hit on her front driver side. I really can't tell you much about what happened. I just know that we were on highway 71 South approaching a standstill on the ramp to 435 E/435W. I was gradually slowing down and right before I came to a stop we were plowed into (I personally don't think she could have been going much slower then 45 mph at the time of contact and Rob remembers hearing tires skid right before). But I never saw the car behind me, I never saw it hit us. I just heard a big loud crunch and felt my car get pushed forward. We were so lucky we didn't hit the car in front of us; you could have maybe fit a piece of paper in between us and the car in front of us. We could have been smooshed.

So in the aftermath you start to replay the night and you start freaking out at what could have happened. It's only human nature to do so. And then things get put into perspective....

So last night I did a couple of things different. I hugged my girls a little TIGHTER. I looked them STRAIGHT into their eyes when I said I love you.  I REALLY kissed them goodnight. I rocked them, not focused on what I was going to do afterwards during my only free time of the day, but I let myself enjoy the simple pleasure of rocking WITH them. I held them a little LONGER before putting them in bed. I savored this time because I couldn't imagine life WITHOUT them.

It's a shame that is takes something like a car accident to make me slow down and really savor each "every day" passing moment. It is something I strive to become better at; savoring the little things and living IN the moment with 100% of my attention. I mean how can I not; just look at my family. I am blessed.

Much Love,
Jenny

3 comments:

  1. So glad to hear everyone is safe & sound. Thanks for the reminders to be present :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary! Glad to hear you all are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you guys are alright!

    ReplyDelete