Friday, October 14, 2011

Bread Dippers

Rob and I were on a quick and early "have to use our Groupon before it expires" dinner date at a fancy downtown KC restaurant (Michael Smith and thanks mom for watching the girls!) and as we were paying the bill we had the following conversation with our waiter....

Waiter: "Can I ask you guys a question?"
US: Sure
Waiter: "How long have you guys been together?"
US:  "Married almost 3 years but together for 4 1/2." And we say this with HUGE smiles on our face thinking he's going to say something cheesy like we look like we're so in love or something.. little does he know we are just THRILLED to be eating a quiet dinner without kids!
Waiter just grins
Me: "Why do you ask?"
Waiter: "I asked because you both are bread dippers."
Rob: "Does the fact that we are bread dippers make you think we've been together for a long time?"
Waiter: "Yes. It's just you both dipped your bread on your plates and I wondered how long you had been together. Just curious."
Me: "Well you're lucky he didn't lick the plate! I think it was out 4th date or something that he licked the plate."
Waiter laughs nicely and starts to walk away.
Rob: in a low voice "You're lucky you brought enough bread :)"

We look at each other and laugh and then wonder if we were totally doing an etiquette no no. He wasn't rudeat all in how he asked us (he was quite friendly and it wasn't like he was mocking us or looking down at us), but we just wondered why he would ask us this. We are just so comfortable with each other that we don't even think twice about dipping our bread in our plates and even in each others meal. Even wiping each others plates clean with our bread is quite common- usually there is no need to wash the dishes after dinner if bread has been served with a good meal with us to.

Which leads me back to my question.... Are you not supposed to dip your bread? I dip bread in everything. And did this waiter see me break the bread with my fingers? I know that's a foo foo no no. Oh I am positive her saw me do that too- we were the first ones in the restaurant and our waiter maybe had one other table while we were there..... But dipping?????

Are you a bread dipper? And if so, is it an etiquette no no?!?!?! Or do you only dip with certain people? Hummmmmmmm..... I told Rob that bread dippers probably also poop with the door open as well :)

Much Love,
Jenny

By the way I am ROCKING out a low side pony tail right now thinking that maybe I will bring this look back..... maybe I'll bring that back along with BREAD DIPPING!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I have no idea if that is proper or not. But who cares, it was a night with out kids!

    ReplyDelete