Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Early Bird?

I know they say the early bird gets the worm but I know I'd rather be sleeping! I love sleeping; especially sleeping in. Apparently my children didn't inherit this from me!

It's 5:45 am and I have a happy cooing baby swinging upstairs in her swing while I lay in bed trying to get another 45 minutes of sleep before Anna wakes up. I toss and turn because slowly my 45 minutes are ticking away, down to 40, then 35. What a waste to just be lying here so instead I head downstairs to have some me time.

And I get to thinking.... Anna went through this phase being an early bird for the first 16 months or so. I thought I was in the clear with Ashley because she was always sleeping past 7, most of the time past 8. But recently that has changed. Either one of two scenarios happen and I don't know which one I like best

1. She sleeps through the night. Goes to bed around7/ 8. Wakes to eat around 9/10. Wakes to get  diaper changed and eat at 5:30ish. I would skip the diaper changed but it is soaking wet- almost to the point of through her clothes and they don't make sleep diapers that I know of in size 2.... maybe I should wrap her in two diapers :). I change her before eating but that doesn't help as she is smiling at me from this time on. So she gets put in the swing until her sister wakes up or in the event that she falls asleep, until she wakes up. And she likes the swing but she is starting to outgrow it (it is a dreaded day when that happens).

2. She doesn't sleep through the night. Goes to bed around 7/8. Sleeps through her late night waking/feeding (I don't wake her anymore) and around 1 (diaper changed) and again around 4 she wakes to eat and the wakes for the day around 7/8. It sounds worse then the first scenario but she is such a barracuda nurser and is changed, fed and back in her crib within 15 minutes (she has been this way since birth which is REALLY nice). So it really isn't that bad but I don't get a long period of sleep which I feel helps me function a little better the next day.

I know that in time I will get more sleep (I am by no way sleep deprived though) and I guess it could be much worse- we really did get a good sleeper- but I am someone who always would like more sleep so it baffles me that my kids are fine being early risers. I should have reconsidered this when marrying one :)

A second thought, isn't there only supposed to be one early bird and doesn't it live outside?

Much Love,
Jenny

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jenny - You could try a cloth diaper at night! Our double stuffed fuzzi bunz last 12 hours plus, even with our big boy who is a heavy wetter!

    ReplyDelete