Monday, May 4, 2015

Weekend in DC

Two weekends ago, I went and visited my cousin Collen in Washington DC. She had lived in Chicago for 10 years and about a year ago ventured out East. I was super excited to get back to DC; it had been at least 10 years since I had visited.

Three of my other cousins (well 2 cousins and my "cousin" since she has been dating one of my cousins for over 7 years now) decided to drive in from Akron Ohio and join in on the fun. And we had a blast!

The first night we walked around Colleen's neighborhood, Clarendon in Arlington Virginia, and then hit up the Trader Joe's located directly under her apartment complex. Appetizers and wine led us late into the night :) A phone call to Grandpa Walsh had us talking to him throughout the rest of the weekend :)

The second day we ate a yummy breakfast at an outdoor dining place and then headed to walk around the DC monuments. We saw the White House, Lincoln, Washington Memorial and the Mall. My favorite part of the quick tour was playing Bubble Soccer at the base of the mall. It was amazing!!! I was rolling down the hill like a hamster in a ball. It was awesome. Then we headed into Georgetown for a late lunch and some afternoon shopping. After that we went on a hike on Roosevelt Island where we encountered the meanest goose I have ever seen in my life. Needless to say we survived it and then went on a nighttime tour of the city and stuffed our face with a late night dinner of some yummy greek tapas (and wine of course!)

The next morning we headed to Eastern Market for a yummy breakfast and to peruse the goods for sale in the market. Unfortunately I came up empty handed :( Then after these the cousins left and Colleen and I had 6 hour to kill before needing to leave for my plane.

So what does my little cousin do to me???? She tells me lets go on a little bike ride to Old Town. It's not too far.

9.6 miles later.... ONE WAY FOLKS... we arrive at the cutest little town known to man. Hattiesburg Virginia. It was adorable. We had some luck in the spending money department and then devoured a homemade icecream (I had two scoops!) before trudging the 9.6 miles back home. I am proud to say I rode almost the entire thing except for parts of the last horrible mile up a huge hill. When I got to the point of where I was pedaling slower then I could walk, I threw in the towel.

Noodle legged and starving we capped off our weekend together with the most yummy butter chicken at a nearby Indian place. It was amazing.

Can't wait to visit again :)

Colleen's cat- Smidget

Night one in the party room!!!!
I did see some cherry blossoms- most were gone :(
First Cousin Selfie!!!


The food was amazing there... I mean amazing...
A ride on the subway :)



A trip to DC isn't a trip to DC without seeing the white house :)

 







Bubble Soccer at the base of the Washington Monument... Amazing. I don't recall the last time I laughed so hard I cried.
Roosevelt Island- the hike that could have been 200 feet but we chose the wrong way making it 1.4 miles..... in the rain :)


And did I mention the food???? Blow my socks off crazy good!!





My 20 miles bike ride. I think my butt is still sore :) But it was glorious biking along and seeing the monuments- too bad my camera here overexposed the background :(


And serious. This was amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment