Sunday, May 11, 2014

Asparagus Picking

Yesterday the girls and I headed out towards Lawrence to do some asparagus picking at Pendleton's Farm. We had a blast!!!!!

We took a tractor ride out to the field and then the farmer showed up how it was done. And it was a perfect activity for Anna and Ashley. Technically they want you to pick the asparagus when it's over 8 inches and that is almost the distance from the ground to their knees so it was super easy for the girls to find ones to pick. They picked long ones, skinny ones, fat ones and curly ones. And you didn't even need a tool to pick; you just snap towards the bottom! We had so much fun that Anna and Ashley picked over 5 1/2 pounds without my help!!!! And they probably ate 1/2 a pound of raw asparagus while picking :)

We probably spent an hour walking around and picking; we were in no rush. I am not kidding when I say that Ashley would walk up to a stalk, look at me and ask, "Is this one tall enough? Can I pick it? Do I snap it here? Or here?" Every. Single. Time. I think Anna picked 3 times the amount of Ashley because she was on a mission :)

If you haven't ever been, you need to go. It was that awesome :) It just might become a new Mother's Day tradition :)

Ashley was excited here- she's just giving her friendly stranger smile :)















What a full basket!!!!

Abby slept the entire time on my back but woke up for the tractor ride home (and spent some qualoty time with my cleavage :))



And what did we do with 5 1/2 pounds of asparagus????? Well we ate the largest 4 asparagus stalks I have ever seen for dinner and gave the rest as Mother's day gifts :)

I want to go back now. Who's coming with me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment