Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Hand, Foot and Mouth: 2 Mom: 0

Yup. Another culprit.

Today before gymnastics I noticed that Ashley had a new spot on her face by her mouth. So as a precaution (since I don't want to spread this to all our friends) both Anna and Ashley did not go to gymnastics. The day progressed and everything seemed good.

We went to the pediatrician for Abby in the afternoon.  She said it's one of the worst cases she's seen in quite some time- one case was worse this past summer. She gave some pointers that have helped me feel like I am doing something to help my baby instead of sitting and watching her suffer.

1. She told me to start using motrin instead of tylenol to help with the pain and inflammation
2. She prescribed a heavy duty antibiotic cream to help the broken blisters heal
3. She told me that people have said that rubbing Maalox on the bumps help alleviate the pain and itch
4. She also said using oral benedryl can help make her drowsy and sleep at night and may help with the itch
5. Told me to come back if there is any puss/infection or if the spot on her bottom eyelid spreads into the eyelid. 
6. She complimented me on how good Abby's blisters are healing. She thought that by the look of her face that her bottom would be much worse. She said we are caring for her perfectly and to keep doing what we are doing with minimal diaper wear and wrapping her in a towel during naps (my mom is a genius for those pointers!!!)

She told me it looks like the spots on face and butt are in the healing process but just starting up on hands and feet. She says Abby is still contagious since new spots are coming in. 

I am very glad I went in because I also showed her Ashley's face and she said it very well could be hand, foot and mouth.

So tonight during the Royals game I notice Ashley is being very quite and cuddly so I take her temperature. 100.8 degrees. Great. Then I do a hand, mouth and mouth check and find 3 spots on her feet, one on her hand and the ones by her lips. Confirmed. I am pretty sure another Stilley bites the dust to this disgusting illness. I just hope it's a mild case.

Ashley went to bed in her winter footie pj's wanting to be under the covers (she never sleeps with covers on) and she was still cold. I just hope she sleeps well tonight.

As for Abby, she LOVES the Maalox rubs and I have given her 3 total tonight. She literaly sits like dead weight and lets me rub the Maalox all over her bumps for 20-45 minutes at a time. During the last Maalox rub down she was telling me where to put it (mostly her feet). It feels good to be able to help my baby girl. I just wish I could cure it.

Hand, Foot and Mouth I hate you.

No comments:

Post a Comment