Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Oh the joys of parenthood...

Oh the joys!

Little Anna had gone over 4 days without having a dirty diaper (but she had tons of wet ones). This raised a some concern since she had never gone over a day and a half before. So a call was made to the pediatrician and minutes later, Rob and I were doing what they call rectal stimulation on our baby girl... yep- you read it right.... RECTAL STIMULATION!

I was very skeptical and scared to do it to Anna (so was Rob), but she assured me that it wouldn't hurt Anna and that it would not be habit forming. It required us to do the following:

1. put Vaseline on a rectal thermometer
2. insert it in about a 1/2 an inch
3. Rotate clockwise up to 3 minutes
4. If no stool is passed, do it again in 30 minutes.

WOW... oh WOW.... oh WOW! It took us trying 3 different times because we we confused on the duration of #3 (apparently it takes 1 1/2 minutes to stimulate and it won't work unless you go the allotted time) but on our first attempt at doing it properly... WOW. The little girl must have felt MUCH better! And to make us feel even better, she had a dirty the next morning!!

Yeay... the joys of parenthood! Never, EVER did I imagine Rob and I EVER doing something like this :)

So, it now looks like I can add rectal stimulation to my list of "sure can do's!"

Much Love,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment