Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Ashley's Birth Story

It was the beginning of week 39 of my pregnancy and I was more then ready to have Baby Ashley. I was also pretty sure that we would exceed the 40 week pregnancy mark because I was getting pretty miserable. Well on February 8th we headed to the hospital to deliver our baby girl.



 For those of you would don't want the gory details of labor, skip the rest. Just know that at 11:55 that snowy night, Ashley Margaret Stilley was born.

I had felt a tiny gush of water when picking up Anna out of her crib at 1:30 that day. Feeling pretty confident that I had lost total control of my body and that my bladder was failing me and leaking, I continued my daily play time with Anna. A couple hours passed and I started to think that this constant leak/sometimes little gushes was my water breaking. So I called my trusty sister to help me decide that it really was my labor starting! Rob headed home from work and we arrived at the hospital around 5 pm to meet Rob's mom (Grammy Stilley) to take Anna from us before we headed to labor and delivery.

Last picture taken in the hospital foyer of the party of 3.. soon to be 4 (Oops- sorry nuts- I mean 5!)!


 30 minutes after arriving at labor and delivery it was confirmed by a dip stick that it was my water that had broken! We were admitted to the hospital, told by the nurse that labor would progress naturally (I hadn't had any horrible contractions) and we were going to have another baby girl that night!

I was induced with Anna so the entire "let labor progress naturally" was new to me. When we were admitted to the hospital I was 3 cm dilated and 90% effaced. The same place I was when admitted to have Anna. I started feeling contractions around 6:30 pm and they rapidly started to get worse as time went on. At around 6-7 cm (around 10 pm) I called for the epidural. They had to try the epidural twice (I find out later that Rob nearly passed out at this point) and it took them a while to get the dosage right in my body. An hour and a half later, around 11:50 pm, I was ready to have this baby.

The doctor asked me if I wanted the birth date to be Feb 8 or Feb 9 (Feb 9 would have also gotten another day in the hospital covered by insurance) but I told her I just wanted a healthy baby girl to come out of me so we started the pushing. 7 pushes (3 contractions) and not even 5 minutes later, Ashley was born.


It took her a couple of seconds to cry and when she did it was the best feeling! Her vitals were checked by a nurse with daddy by her side and she checked out to be very healthy!



 Ashley measured 20 inches and weighed 6 pounds 15 ounces. Daddy was then handed his new baby girl and man was he beaming!!! Once the doctor was done taking care of me, I got to hold my baby girl. It was an amazing night!!



Pictures and more about our stay in the hospital to come soon, I promise!!

Much Love,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment