Monday, May 17, 2010

Making Baby Food

My friend, Ashley Jones (we still call her Souders!), got me interested in making baby food when she decided to make it for her son, Cooper. And I am so glad she did!!

Using a book she recommended, 100 Best Baby Food Purees, and the website Baby Food 101, I have managed to make Anna baby food for almost 2 months now. And it hasn't even been that hard!!

The book is great because it helps you get creative on mixing different foods together to give different tastes- I just started this creative approach within the last couple of weeks. I have mostly depended on the website and the website is awesome because it helps me decide which food should be bought organic or conventional and it tells you the appropriate age and how to make it. I occasionally give Anna the store bought baby food but plan on making her baby food for the remaining time she eats it mainly because she LOVES everything I make! And I have fun searching around the area for certain fruits and veges and can't wait to start heading to the Farmer's Market.

I usually make a batch of vegetables every two weeks and freeze them in ice cube trays to be used later on during that month and then two weeks later, I do the same with fruit. My handy dandy food processor does an AMAZING job (I was using a blender before we moved but the blender is MIA so I had to buy something while living in the apartment to use in it's place!)

I have made the following so far....

Fruits
Apples
Pears
Blueberries
Strawberries (she just tried today and LOVES them!)
Peaches
Mango
Cherries (has not tried yet)
Prunes
Banana

Vegetables
Sweet Potatoes
Carrots
Peas
Mashed Red Potatoes
Squash
Avocado
Going to make this week: Asparagus, Spinach and Broccoli

Protein
Tofu

Much Love and Eating,
Jenny

2 comments:

  1. Yay for homemade! I have done that with both kids and have found that the transition to regular table food was very easy because they were always used to more texture than the jar-food offers. Even stage 3 is smoother than homemade, I think! And yay for saving the $$!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you joined me, it has been nice to talk it over with someone! Strawberries are next for us!

    ReplyDelete