Monday, December 21, 2015

Anna's Fall October Kindergarten Conference

I haven't posted about this mostly because I haven't had the time to really sit down and write. But now since I am ignoring my children I think I have the time :) And caution- if you don't want to hear a mom brag on her child stop reading now :)

Rewind back to October. Now imagine the BEST parent teacher conference you can ever imagine. And then multiply it by 100. Yes, that is how I felt after Anna's first Kindergarten conference with Mrs. Z.

I was that proud and weak mother; tears streaming down my face as Anna's teacher tells me things I already know but don't take the time to really sit down, soak in and appreciate. Anna was there by my side, also smiling and taking in the amazing things her teacher was saying.

Mrs Z starts the conference by telling me that Anna is one truly extraordinary kiddo and that Mrs. Z is honored to get the opportunity to work with everyday. She says Anna is an exemplary learner, an ideal student, a mini version of herself (being Mrs. Z), an absolute pleasure to have in class, a shining star, she exhibits a supurb work ethic, a delightful presence, is so smart and hard working, shows a love and excitement for learning that she wished all kids have and is a student Mrs Z can rely on. She continues to use the most praise worthy and complimentary words as she continues to smile and describe Anna. (Do you know understand why tears were streaming down my face? I know I have am amazing child but for someone else to tell me is another thing.)

Mrs Z then goes on to say that Anna is always the one who helps Mrs. Z with things and even watches the classroom for a minute when she runs to the restroom/office and reports back on the class. This last fact made me worried because I don't want Anna being labeled as the Teacher's Pet as the kids grow up. I got that label and HATED it. So Mrs Z and I talked to Anna and told her that if Mrs. Z ever asks her to help and if Anna would rather play with friends, have computer time or read to herself to tell Mrs. Z. We told her MRs. Z (or any teacher) wouldn't be upset and would understand if Anna just wanted to do other things. Anna seemed to agree to this so that made me feel better on the "Teachers Pet" subject.

Mrs Z then nailed it on the head in describing Anna when she said Anna has a quiet confidence about her that is amazing to watch. She isn't one to talk without raising her hand (she is a rule follower) but when she does get the chance to talk everyone listens and what she has to say is usually right on and insightful. Mrs. Z then went on to say she is a true born leader and has really stepped up in class as a leader for others to follow. She said her peers look to Anna for guidance and assistance. They respect and like her. She says she gets along great with all her peers.

As for academics, she is at the top of the charts in math and reading on the MAP test and Mrs. Z can't wait to see where she is at the end of the year. Mrs Z says Anna soaks things up like a sponge and has a passion for learning and it's so fun to watch her excitement as she learns.

When I asked Mrs. Z what Anna could work on she told Anna to keep doing what she is doing. Keep working hard, keep asking questions, keep smiling and keep reading. She then gave Anna the biggest bear hug followed by one for me.

So I left this conference overwhelmed, happy and so so so so proud of the little girl walking by my side, holding my hand. I felt like I was paying Mrs. Z to tell me amazing things about my daughter. But I wasn't paying her; she was telling me how amazing my daughter truly is.

I know not all parent teacher conferences will go this way for all my children and that next year may be a different story for Anna. But for now, I'll take this.

Thanks Mrs. Z. And thank you Anna.




No comments:

Post a Comment