Wednesday, June 1, 2011

In search of the best wiener

Inspired by the Sonic commercial featuring all the AMAZING hot dog toppings, my family decided to host the First Annual Memorial Day Weekend "In Search of the Best Wiener" Hot Dog Topping Contest. A page full of rules later (believe me MANY tweeks were made to the official "rule" page before the event started and even as it was starting) we all gathered this past Sunday to indulge in some tasty treats- and boy were they good!!!!

The Trophy for the TOP DAWG! I could have only dreamed of winning it.....
Dad's sausage and hotdog sampling platter. We all now have many of these in our freezer!
It was seriously was too much fun. Everyone came up with awesome ideas for topping their hot dogs and the kitchen was an absolute disaster! Rob decided to make the "Doglet" which had scrambled eggs, garlic, bacon, cheese, peppers and onion on it. He thought it was by far the best dog (but unfortunately our opinion of our own dog didn't count towards the awards). I made a "Chihuahua" hotdog skilleted with 2 strips of bacon, 1/4 of an avocado and cream cheese. TOTALLY YUM! Anna made a "MAC DOGGY" macaroni and cheese topped with crumbled Doritos hotdog (it was also yummy) and Ashley made a HUGE pig in a blanket with cheese and named it "Papoose" because it looked like her when she is all swaddled.

Here are our Family Dog Entries!


The Competition:

Please look at Anna eating the m and m's off of Meghan's hotdog. Little stinker-bug!!!!

Yes- those are m and m's.... no one tried this one!

Each person got to vote for their Top 3 hot dogs, in addition to several other awards. The awards went to:


Most Unique: Rob
Most Colorful: Meghan and Anne
Ugliest: Ashley and Matt
Gag Me: Meghan
Best Buns: Ashley
Best Name: Meghan
Best Looking: Todd
Best Presentation: Anne
TOP 3
3rd Place: Todd with the peppers, onion and cheese dip
2nd Place: Anne with the BLT
and you won't believe it- I couldn't...... the first ever FIRST PLACE CHAMPION: ME!!!!!!!


I was ecstatic! I was the emcee for the award ceremony and I also passed out the awards so I had to ask Todd to do the honors in presenting me with my award. I still smile at all the glory of that one fine moment!!!!!


I still can't believe I won :)

Since we were already splurging on trying 13 hotdogs, we decided to also add a deep fry appetizer competition and WOW was that amazing! I had never really deep fried anything on my own and had so much fun! We decided to deep fry pickles and artichokes. Others added mushrooms, onion rings, cheese balls and cheese sticks to the list. Rob tied for the "Best Fry" award with his artichoke entry- YUM YUM YUM! I think I might need to borrow the fry daddy about once a year to satisfy these yummy cravings again!

At the end of the night we were too full to fry the oreos and snickers- we'll just save those for another party!

The kids were so well behaved while us adults were running around like crazy preparing our dogs. We are so fortunate to have such good kids! They too has a blast sampling the dogs!


Much Love,
Jenny

PS- check out the kitchen at the end of the night! A sign of WAY TOO MUCH GOODNESS!

2 comments:

  1. This all looks like sooooooo much fun! I can just imagine all the one-up-manship and laughter. How many WW points do you think you each ate? JK. Also, is it just me, or is #13 kind of obscene? Who did that one?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe it or not, it's Baby Matt's!!!!! hahaha! He tied Ashley for the ugliest award!!!!!

    ReplyDelete